When preparing for a dispute resolution hearing, you should also see if there are RTB guidelines for your dispute. These resources are more detailed on certain issues in relation to the Housing Contracts Act and are often cited by arbitrators in decisions. Tenants who have requested dispute resolution should, where possible, provide evidence to the RTB digitally via their online system. If you are unable to download evidence this way, you can still send physical copies directly to the RTB or a BC service centre across the province. The digital transmission of evidence to the RTB will make it available to the arbitrator who will handle your case, but the RTB will not send copies to your owner on your behalf. This means that if you provide digital evidence to the RTB, you must also provide copies of this evidence to your landlord with an accepted method of service under the Housing Lease Act. Arbitrators are like judges and base their decisions on evidence and arguments presented by the parties at the dispute resolution hearing. The arbitrator is not bound by the decisions of other arbitrators, but by a precedent set by the court. The arbitrator makes the decision on the basis of the merits of the case.

An arbitrator has the authority to resolve disputes that are referred by the director to the arbitrator and any issues relating to disputes that arise under the RTA or a lease. Arbitrators can assist the parties or allow the parties to resolve their dispute. They can register the agreements reached by the parties, sign the agreement and register the transaction contract. Unless otherwise stated by the RTA, a director`s decision is final and binding (S 77 (3)). 5. When a person enters into, within twelve months, two or more tenancy agreements that give the person, heirs or beneficiaries of the transfer the right to occupy or reoccupy the same dwellings in total for more than twenty years, with or without interruption, the duration of each of these leases is more than twenty years in the sense of the subsection (3). (a) an agreement has been reached under the subsection (7), the formal dispute resolution procedure can be avoided if the application of the law is clear, if an information officer is willing to refer the matter to one of the parties to explain the law. For example, an information officer may call a landlord and let them know that landlords are legally required to provide rental income when the tenant pays rent in cash.

The information officer will not act as an arbitrator and will only explain the legislation. Personal or written hearings are rare and generally take place only at the request of one or both parties, in order to take into account exceptional circumstances or the special needs of one or both parties.